The Construction/Building committee shall be responsible for implementing the construction activity of Habitat homes.
- The committee shall be comprised of people with background in the following areas whenever possible: Carpentry Practice, General Contracting, Architectural Engineering, Electrical Trades, Plumbing Trades.
- In addition, there will be other members who have the interest of quality, adequate, affordable housing as defined by the Board of Directors.
- There will be one representative that serves as a Maintenance Advisor to the Family Support Committee.
- There will be a qualified chairperson.
The Committee will:
- work with the Site Selection committee to ascertain appropriate properties and develop pre-acquisition budget estimates
- present appropriate house plans to the Board of Directors for approval
- assist staff or volunteer site supervisor to develop comprehensive work lists and schedules
- solicit bids for sub-contracted labour (a minimum of 2)
- develop lists of materials for the fund raising committee to acquire
- conduct monitoring of sites to ensure quality, safety and stewardship
- advise the Board of Directors on policy changes that relate to house design, project specifications and disbursement of resources
- request an annual budget for discretionary spending on tools and equipment under $1000.00. All major equipment purchases exceeding $1000.00. will require board approval (refer to local board policy re: expenditure approvals)
- meet monthly at a time appointed by the chairperson
- advise volunteer committee regarding need for volunteers
- ensure positive, productive communication with the Family Partner Committee